Application Process and Scholarships
Apply for the Program
In addition to the program charge, you must pay an application fee of $250.00. If you apply before October 31, 2019, you are eligible for an incentive scholarship of $200.00. Please use these links to apply to the program through the GT OIE website:
If you are a Non-Georgia Tech (Transient/Special) student, you are required to submit TWO separate applications to the Office of International Education. Please see the Application Procedures for Transient/Special/Non-Degree Students (Non-Georgia Tech Students) for more details. Please complete your application by March 1.
Applications for the whole 12-credit hour program are preferred. Program fills quickly and applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis after October 31, 2019. The application deadline is January 31, 2020.
We encourage you to take advantage of the
numerous scholarship opportunities that are available
to German LBAT students.
If you submit your application before October 31, 2019,
you will receive an incentive scholarship of $200.
Please also apply to the generous scholarships available for GT's German program students from the following Foundations:
- The Halle Foundation: LBAT and semester abroad scholarships
- The Spurlock Foundation: LBAT scholarships
To apply for the above scholarships, please write a one page letter to "The German Program Scholarship Awards Committee." In your letter, please address the following questions:
- why you want to study abroad (please indicate if you are applying for LBAT, a semester abroad at one of our partner universities, or both.)
- how this experience will impact your future academic and career goals
- what your future goals with German may be, e.g. completion of a minor, major, or double minor or major
- what your prior German experience entails, including courses at GT, participation in German Club etc.
- how you will assist the German Program in the following year (e.g. by helping to advertise the program during German Day, Study Abroad Fair, and/or in-class visits (if you receive an award, we expect your participation in the following year)
- financial need, if applicable. This is not a prerequisite but will be taken into consideration
Please submit this letter to Dr. Jan Uelzmann (email@example.com) AND Dr. Annika Orich (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 1, 2019 (we will accept applications on a rolling basis until we have awarded all available scholarships). These Scholarships are awarded according to merit and/or need.
The Modern Languages' Campoamor scholarship is also available, and the HOPE Scholarship applies to LBAT programs. Students are encouraged to see if other scholarships via OIE are available and to apply for financial aid.
Payment and Cancellation Policy
Payment Schedule and Deadlines
Payment Schedule for both LBAT I AND LBAT II:
- First Payment ($4,600): Due February 15th, 2020
- Second Payment ($4,000): Due March 15th, 2020
Payment Schedule for LBAT I ONLY:
- First Payment ($2,600): Due February 15th, 2020
- Second Payment ($2,000): Due March 15th, 2020
Payment Schedule for LBAT II ONLY:
- First Payment ($2,000): Due February 15th, 2020
- Second Payment ($2,000): Due March 15th, 2020
Fee Payment Information: Please adhere to the deadlines stated for the program. Please observe the information in Payment Options to ensure that your payments are processed at the Bursar’s Office on time. Fees will be charged to your Oscar account on the due dates. Make sure you make all necessary payments on time in order to avoid a hold on your account. Students expecting financial aid must submit a letter from the Financial Aid Office stating the allocation and date of payments expected. Tuition and student fees are due according to the Registrar’s schedule for summer tuition.
Students who (with the Program Directors' approval) apply and register for LBAT programs after the deadlines are responsible for Program Fee payments according to the original deadlines at the time of application or at the time of the applicant's acceptance.
Students who choose not to participate in the program after submitting an application will be subject to the following fee schedule:
- Students canceling before February 15th, 2020, will lose their $250.00 deposit.
- Students canceling after February 15th, 2020, must pay 30% of the entire program charge.
- Students canceling after March 15th, 2020, must pay 100% of the entire program charge.
Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Fees are subject to change without notice. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter (including a change to program fees) or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. If Georgia Tech cancels the entire program before departure for reasons within its control, all fees paid by participants will be refunded. If Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants’ safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants.
If a student withdraws from the program, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.