The China LBAT gives students the opportunity to study for 9 weeks in China, 6 of which take place in Shanghai and 3 weeks in the coastal city of Qingdao. The China LBAT is an intensive Chinese language immersion led by GT faculty members. Students also get individual one-on-one tutoring sessions, participate in weekly group dinners, and visit important cultural and business sites as part of the experience. So, come explore the fascinating fusion of traditional Chinese culture with modern, metropolitan culture. Come experience one of the world’s fastest growing economies in China’s business center (Shanghai). Come enhance your language abilities in an immersion environment. Come have fun and experience all the great things that Georgia Tech and China have to offer!
Check out the LBAT alumni' experience in the LBAT 2015 Student Video, LBAT 2016 Student Blog, and LBAT 2017 Student Rap Song. Also Check out what previous LBAT China students have to say about their experiences in our China LBAT Student Briefings.
- Shanghai Cultural Site visits: Shanghai Museum, Yu Yuan Imperial Garden, Oriental Pearl Tower/Shanghai Center, Peking Opera Show, Acrobat Show, and Zhouzhuang town (may vary each year)
- Business Site visits: Shanghai Volkswagen, Bao Steel Company (Baogang), Shanghai International Financial Center, Shanghai Expo (may vary each year)
- Qingdao Fieldtrips: Qingdao (Tsingtao) Beer Museum, Laoshan Daoist Mtn, Hai'er Company, Navy Museum, German Governor’s Mansion & Cathedral, Qingdao Expo, and Badaguan Huashi Villa. (may vary each year)
Shanghai (6 weeks) and Qingdao (3 weeks), China
May 11 - July 15, 2018 (May 11 and July 15 are travel days)
Shanghai Jiaotong University 上海交通大學, a top engineering university in China. Its excellent central Shanghai location is very convenient to many activities. We typically have a campus tour and a lot of interaction opportunities with local SJTU students.
Faculty Club Hotel at Shanghai Jiaotong University with two students per room and internet access.
- CHIN 3691: Chinese for Current Events (syllabus)
- CHIN 3692: Business Chinese (syllabus)
- CHIN 3693: Conversation Practicum (syllabus)
- CHIN 3696: Economic Development and Sustainability in China (syllabus)
Total credits: 12
CHIN 2002 or Equivalent and good standing
- The Program Fee is $5200. Fee includes housing, classroom, tutoring, group dinners, cultural and business site visits, group transportation, cultural classes in Taichi, Calligraphy, and Chinese painting; tickets (air or train) from Shanghai to Qingdao, health insurance, one textbook (you bring the other)
- Payment Schedule:
- February 15, 2018: Due 1/2 of Program Fee ($2600) [may pay entire Program Fee on February 15 if desired, please inform]
- March 15, 2018: Due 1/2 of Program Fee ($2600)
- Your GT account will be automatically assessed on these dates.
- Payment Schedule:
- Program Fee does not include: Application fee, 12 credit hours tuition, international airline tickets, visa, technology fee, independent ground transportation (including your departure from Qingdao at end of program to facilitate flexibility with post-program travel plans), independent meals
Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws before the application deadline no penalty is incurred beyond the non-refundable application fee. If a student withdraws from the program after the application deadline, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.
- See us at the Study Abroad Fair, Student Center Ballroom, Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 10am-2pm
Mandatory Orientation Meetings:
- Orientation Session 1 (Getting Ready to Go): Thursday, February 16. 4:30-6:30pm; Loc: Swann 106
- Orientation Session 2 (The Details): Thursday, March 30. 4:30-6:30pm; Loc: Swann 106
- China LBAT 2017 Brochure (booklet printable)
- OIE Orientation (this is also mandatory, in addition to the two sessions above)
More Information & Questions:
- Email Dr. Liu (jin.liu [at] modlangs.gatech) for any questions