We are excited to relaunch our LBAT in 2024 after four years of pause due to the pandemic!
The China LBAT is an intensive Chinese language program led by Georgia Tech faculty members. Students get individual one-on-one tutoring sessions, participate in weekly group dinners, and visit cultural and business sites as part of the experience. Come explore the fascinating fusion of traditional Chinese culture with modern, metropolitan culture. Come experience one of the world’s fastest-growing economies. Come enhance your language abilities in an immersion environment. Come have fun and experience all the great things that Georgia Tech and China have to offer!
For 2024, we partner with Georgia Tech China Summer Program (CSP) to provide more course offerings and flexibility, enriched group activities, and greater student support.
Also, check out the China LBAT alumni experiences:
- LBAT 2017 Student Rap Song
- LBAT 2016 Student Blog
- LBAT 2015 Student Video
- China LBAT Student Debriefings
Hong Kong (1 week) and Shenzhen (8 weeks), China
May 26-July 27, 2024 (9 weeks on site)
This year we follow the GT 11-week summer course schedule, with the first two weeks of classes going virtual (May 13-24)
Hong Kong University (HKU) and Georgia Tech Shenzhen Institute (GTSI). We will have campus tours and a lot of interaction opportunities with local HKU and GTSI students.
The program provides double-room housing located near campus with free shuttle service to the campus. Housing provides air conditioning, western toilets, and modern facilities. Students may select a roommate in advance. Those who do not select a roommate will be randomly paired with another student of the same gender.
- CHIN 3691: Chinese for Current Events
- CHIN 3692: Business Chinese
- CHIN 3693: Conversation Practicum
- CHIN 3696: Economic Development and Sustainability in China
All courses count toward the Chinese Majors (ALIS/IAML/GEML), Minor (which needs 15 credits!), Certificate, and International Plan!
CHIN 2002 or Equivalent and in good standing (contact Dr. Liu for placement consult)
- The Program Fee in 2024 is $4,900, including $500 non-refundable deposit, housing, classroom, tutoring, weekly group dinners, cultural and business site visits, group transportation, travel health insurance, and 1 textbook for CHIN 3692.
- Early Bird Program Fee $4,400 (applications submitted by December 31, 2023)
- Program fees are payable through OSCAR
- A non-refundable $500 deposit is due at the time of application and is applied to the overall program fee. (The deposit will be refunded if a student is not accepted into the program)
- Payment Schedule:
- The first program fee installment amount of $1,500 is due February 25, 2024
- The final program fee installment of $2,900 is due March 25, 2024 (final program fee installment is $2,400 for those that have applied by December 31, 2023 – Early Bird applicants)
- Your student account will be automatically assessed these fees on the indicated dates.
- Scholarship Available!
*Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter the program cost due to currency devaluation or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Program Fee does NOT include: tuition (All students pay in-state tuition, see Bursar for rates), international airline tickets ($1,350 – $2,100), visa ($185), technology fee ($107 in 2023), personal travel, and independent meals
- Out-of-State students pay in-state tuition. Tuition is due to the Bursar’s Office, per their deadlines
If you wish to withdraw from the program, you must notify OIE via email. Withdrawals requested after February 15, 2024 and on/before March 25, 2024 will be eligible to receive up to 60% refund of the program fees paid or due up to that date (not including non-refundable deposit).
After March 25, 2024, there will be no refund and you will be responsible for 100% of the program fee (except for tuition, which is refundable as specified in the Summer OSCAR).
- GT Education Abroad Fair, October 3, 2023, Tuesday, 10AM-2PM, Exhibition Hall
- Chinese LBAT Info Session: October 27, 2023, Friday, 6pm-7:30pm, Swann 106 (for PPT, click here)
Mandatory Orientation Meetings:
- Orientation Session 1 (in process of updating for 2024) "Getting Ready to Go"
- Orientation Session 2 (in process of updating for 2024) "The Details"
- OIE Orientation
More Information & Questions:
- Email Dr. Jin Liu (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions, or to schedule a virtual meeting.