Due to the pandemic, China LBAT for Summer 2022 is not certain and we are monitoring the situation. The rise of the Delta Variant and other future variants will continue to be problematic because we can't get visas to China or other countries in such a state of emergency. Global vaccination is imperative to solving this situation. The only thing certain is that China will not issue travel/study visas for unvaccinated persons, so make sure you get vaccinated.
Come join us for 2022! Covid Cancellation Policy: Refund of Program Charges (including Application Fee) in Full if we have to cancel because China does not lift its 14-21 days quarantine requirement. Make or break date is March 30, 2022.
Virtual Info Session: Tuesday Oct. 26, 4:30-5:30 pm, https://bluejeans.com/712807664/7789
The China LBAT gives students the opportunity to study for 9 weeks in China, 6 of which take place in Shanghai and 3 weeks in the coastal city of Qingdao. The China LBAT is an intensive Chinese language immersion led by Georgia Tech faculty members. Students also get individual one-on-one tutoring sessions, participate in weekly group dinners, and visit important cultural and business sites as part of the experience. So, come explore the fascinating fusion of traditional Chinese culture with modern, metropolitan culture. Come experience one of the world’s fastest growing economies in China’s business center (Shanghai). Come enhance your language abilities in an immersion environment. Come have fun and experience all the great things that Georgia Tech and China have to offer!
Click to see our China LBAT 2022 Promotion Slideshow (must see!!)
Also check out the China LBAT alumni' experiences:
- LBAT 2017 Student Rap Song
- LBAT 2015 Student Video
- LBAT 2016 Student Blog
- China LBAT Student Debriefings
Our Out of Classroom Activities:
- Shanghai Cultural Site Visits: Shanghai Museum, Yu Yuan Imperial Garden, Oriental Pearl Tower/Shanghai Center, Peking Opera Show, Acrobat Show, and Zhouzhuang town (may vary each year)
- Business Site Visits: Shanghai Volkswagen, Bao Steel Company (Baogang), Hai'er, Hisense, Shanghai International Financial Center, Shanghai Expo (may vary each year)
- Qingdao Fieldtrips: Laoshan Daoist Mtn, Hai'er Company, Navy Museum, German Governor’s Mansion & Cathedral, Qingdao Expo, and Badaguan Huashi Villa. (may vary each year)
Shanghai (6 weeks) and Qingdao (3 weeks), China
May 13 - July 17, 2020 (May 13 and July 17 are travel days)
Shanghai Jiaotong University 上海交通大學, a top engineering university in China. Its excellent central Shanghai location is very convenient to many activities. We typically have a campus tour and a lot of interaction opportunities with local SJTU students.
Faculty Club Hotel at Shanghai Jiaotong University with two students per room and internet access.
- CHIN 3691: Chinese for Current Events (syllabus)
- CHIN 3692: Business Chinese (syllabus)
- CHIN 3693: Conversation Practicum (syllabus)
- CHIN 3813: Living in China (syllabus)
Total credits: 12 (All count toward the Chinese Minor, which needs 15 credits!)
CHIN 2002 or Equivalent and good standing (contact Dr. Foster for placement consult)
- The Program Charge 2022 is $5500 (pending approval) includes $250 non-refundable application fee (unless we have to cancel due to covid quarantine restrictions - see below), housing, classroom, tutoring, group dinners, cultural and business site visits, group transportation, cultural classes in Taichi, Calligraphy, and Chinese painting (varies per year); tickets (air or train) from Shanghai to Qingdao, travel health insurance, one textbook (you bring the other)
- Payment Schedule:
- Application Fee $250 (included in Program Charge)
- February 15, 2022: $2625 first half (first installment) [may pay entire Program Fee on February 15 if desired, please inform]
- March 15, 2022: $2625 second half (first installment) )
- Your student account will be automatically assessed these fees on the indicated dates.
- Payment Schedule:
- Program Charge does NOT include: 12 credit hours tuition, international airline tickets, visa, technology fee, independent ground transportation (including your departure from Qingdao at end of program to facilitate flexibility with post-program travel plans), independent meals
- Pay Instate Tuition: Out of State Students pay Instate Tuition!!
Covid Cancellation Policy: Refund of Program Charges (including Application Fee) in Full if we have to cancel because China does not lift its 14-21 days quarantine requirement.
Regular Program Cancellation Policy:
Program descriptions and charges are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws before the application deadline no penalty is incurred beyond the non-refundable application fee. If a student withdraws from the program after the application deadline, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.
Backup Plan 1: We will direct you to a virtual Summer Chinese language program and transfer credits. Coordinate your Foreign Credit Approval in advance with Dr. Foster
Backup Plan 2: You apply to an intensive Summer Chinese language program in China, go according to your time which will include 14-21 days quarantine, then we transfer credits. Coordinate your Foreign Credit Approval in advance with Dr. Foster
- See us at the Study Abroad Fair, Student Center Ballroom, Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 10am-2pm
- Virtual Info Session: Tuesday, October 26, 2022, 4:30-5:30 pm https://bluejeans.com/712807664/7789
Mandatory Orientation Meetings:
- Orientation Session 1 (2018-9; in process of updating for 2022) (Getting Ready to Go): Thursday, February 17, 2022, 5:45-7:30pm; Location: TBD
- Orientation Session 2 (2018-9; in process of updating for 2022) (The Details): Thursday, March 24, 2022, 5:45-7:30pm; Location: TBD
- China LBAT 2019 Brochure (2019 doc; in process of updating for 2022) (booklet printable)
- OIE Orientation (this is also mandatory, in addition to the two sessions above)
More Information & Questions:
- Email Dr. Foster (email@example.com) with any questions, or to schedule Bluejeans meeting
Dr. Paul Foster
LBAT 2022 Flyer: A Quick Look
Student Briefings (LBAT) in Their Own Words
Student Briefings (Exchanges) in Their Own Words
China LBAT 2019 Brochure (will update for 2022)