News and Events
Modern Language Faculty Publishes on East Asian Literature: Martial Arts, Cultural Legacy, and Masculinity
January 23, 2020
December 31, 2019
Jan. 2 marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of influential science fiction author Isaac Asimov, whose hard-science approach to his craft sparked the imaginations of countless writers and scientists. In recent years, Asimov’s birthday has also become known as “Science Fiction Day.” In celebration of this centennial, we are taking a look at how Asimov influenced Georgia Institute of Technology faculty and students, and also offer a selection of Asimov-themed reading suggestions for Science Fiction Day.
December 17, 2019
February 3, 2020, 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Location: Sage, 11th Floor - BB&T Building - 271 17th Street NW
The Atlanta Global Studies Center, through its collaboration with the City of Atlanta, Global Atlanta, the Greater Atlanta Coalition for Global Education and Research (GAcGEAR), and the Georgia Department of Education, is pleased to invite higher education representatives to a morning of industry engagement about ensuring global competency among future graduates from institutions of higher education in the Atlanta region.
We invite you or your representative to attend and to share this exclusive invitation with your professional contacts who are interested in strengthening the bridge from education to employment. We are inviting representatives from area universities and colleges to attend for the opportunity to listen to the invited panel and to freely discuss needs, challenges, and opportunities. The deadline for preferred online registration is January 27, 2020. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
February 3, 2020, 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Sage, 11th Floor - BB&T Building - 271 17th Street NW
Preferred online registration by January 27, 2020
The Greater Atlanta Coalition for Global Education and Research (GAcGEAR) and Sage invite you to join
- Susan C. Hogan, Future of Work and Behavioral Economics Lead, Deloitte
- Amy Lancaster-King, Director of Workforce Development, Metro Atlanta Chamber
- Ron McMurtrie, Chief Marketing Officer, Sage
- Azim Barodawala, CEO, Volantio
- Shannon Benham, Director of Global Talent Acquisition, UPS
- The City of Atlanta
- Georgia's top-ranking universities
and moderator, Trevor Williams, managing editor, Global Atlanta
for an intimate conversation about educating for global competence and careers.
GAcGEAR, coordinated by the AGSC, is an Atlanta-region coalition of education and research institutions whose mission is to:
- Connect and engage key stakeholders in global education and research at all levels in the greater Atlanta region
- Coordinate awareness and advocacy efforts for global education and research
- Define and support the elements that make up a global education with key stakeholders from a variety of public and private sectors
- Establish a network of stakeholders and invite conversations to accomplish all of the above
- Establish common benchmarks and targets of language proficiency and global competence that address career priorities
More information about GAcGEAR can be found here.
Greater Atlanta Higher Education Leadership Meeting for the Peace Education Initiative [by invitation only]
February 4, 2020, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Location: Wardlaw Center, 177 N Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30313
A meeting of higher education leadership in the Greater Atlanta region to discuss a “Higher Education Concept for Atlanta as a World City of Peace”
February 11, 2020, 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Location: Crosland Tower, Georgia Tech Library 7130Japan’s Apocalyptic Imagination from Hiroshima to Fukushima
March 25, 2020, 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Location: The Historic Academy of Medicine, 875 West Peachtree Street NE
Interim Dean John L. Tone and the Awards Planning Committee cordially invite alumni, faculty, staff, and friends to attend the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts Distinguished Alumni Awards on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, at 5:30 P.M. to honor graduates from each of our six academic schools, supporters of the college, and recipients of the Ivan Allen Jr Legacy Awards.