Study for five weeks in one of the most dynamic hubs of technological innovation in the Hispanic world, and experience firsthand numerous current smart city projects that are changing urban living in Barcelona, while improving standards for environmental protection and city growth.
Immerse yourself in a compact city where the Roman Temple of Augustus co-exists with neo-gothic buildings, inspiring modernist structures designed by Gaudi and the futuristic design of the Torre Glòries. Deepen your knowledge about what Spanish companies and public entities such as Telefónica, the Barcelona City Council, Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya, and Fab Lab Barcelona, among many others, are doing to make city living more efficient in Barcelona and across the world.
Earn 6 credit hours in Spanish at the 3000 level, applicable towards a certificate, Spanish Minor or ALIS, IAML or GEML major, or in partial fulfillment of the International Plan Study Abroad requirement. Combine with either LBAT Ecuador or LBAT Spain for 12 credits.
Advance your proficiency in the Spanish language by learning and discussing fascinating current topics at the crossroads of Science, Technology, Engineering, Social Sciences and the Arts.
Visit La Sagrada Familia, Casa Batlló and other Gaudi’s architectural sites and learn how digital technologies are deepening our understanding of these masterpieces. Travel to Figueres and stop by the Dalí Museum to learn about the impact scientific theories had in shaping the artistic vision of this Spanish master.
Live with a Catalonian family and speak only Spanish. Then, spend an afternoon at the International House, our host institution, mingling and making new friends among the locals during the IH Social Program or their Friday Club.
May 11 - June 15, 2019.
International House, Barcelona, Spain
An overview of the International House is available in this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECM1aBwj7x0
Homestay with a Catalonian family in centrally located apartments with two meals daily (breakfast and dinner), free wi-fi and laundry facilities.
- SPAN 3693: Science & Technology
- SPAN 3211: Spain Today
Total credits: 6
SPAN 2002 or equivalent and good academic standing (this program is conducted entirely in Spanish).
Program Director makes decisions on acceptance after reviewing all applications. Acceptance is based on academic standing, language background and reasons for overseas study. Apply by November 15 for early decision
- The Program Fee is $4200. Fee includes ground transportation for excursions and company visits, a metro pass for 30 days/50 trips, housing with a Catalonian family, two meals/day (breakfast, dinner), tours of city and cultural sites, professional visits, health, evacuation and repatriation insurance.
- Program Fee does not include: Application fee, 6 credit hours tuition, international airline tickets, Georgia Tech technology fee.
- HOPE scholarships apply. The School of Modern Languages also offers a small, competitive Campoamor Scholarship.
Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws from the program, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.
- Students canceling after January 15th must pay 25% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after February 15th must pay 50% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after March 15th must pay 100% of the program fee.
- October 31, 1:05pm - 1:55pm, Swann 115
- November 8, 11am - 12pm, Swann 106
- November 15, 11am-12pm, Swann 115