Live in Madrid, a city famous for its culture and nightlife, and earn 6 credit hours of 3000-level coursework, applicable towards a certificate or minor in Spanish. Learn about current issues in politics, socio-economics, media and culture in Spain and the European Union. Visit Spanish companies and institutions. Experience a varied cultural program.
This is what the LBAT Spain looks like:
June 25-July 28 2024
- Students live in RESA, a fully renovated and equipped residence, in single rooms with private bathroom, air conditioning, wi-fi, mini-fridge and microwave. Facilities include multimedia rooms, laundromat and cleaning services, a rooftop terrace with solarium and swimming pool, gym, dining area and cafeteria with three meals a day. Located in one of the most exclusive areas of Madrid, the residence hall is well communicated by public transit with the city's main attractions.
- SPAN 3211: Spain Today (taught by Professor Cecilia Montes-Alcalá)
- SPAN 3694: Media, Culture & Democracy in Contemporary Spain (taught by Professor Paul Alonso)
Total credits: 6
*Note: Students may combine the LBAT Spain with another early summer study abroad Spanish program for a total of 12 credits.
SPAN 2002 or intermediate-level equivalent and good academic standing. Coursework is at the 3000 level and this program is conducted entirely in Spanish.
The Program Fee is $4,750.
- Fee includes: $500 nonrefundable deposit (due at the time of application), airport transfers, daily classes at centrally located school, housing in single rooms with air conditioning, private bath, pool, gym, cleaning services, three meals/day, and wi-fi as well as corporate visits, cultural activities, and insurance.
- Fee does not include: 6 credit hours tuition, airline tickets, independent travel and additional meals.
- HOPE scholarships apply. The School of Modern Languages also offers a small, competitive Campoamor Scholarship.
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION: APPLY BY JANUARY 15, 2024 AND GET A $500 DISCOUNT!
Students who cancel their participation in the program after being accepted will be subject to the following non-negotiable fee schedule:
- Students canceling before January 15th will lose their $500 deposit.
- Students canceling after January 15th must pay 25% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after February 15th must pay 50% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after March 15th must pay 100% of the program fee.
Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws from the program, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.
A pre-departure meeting will be scheduled in the spring semester for all accepted students. If you are interested in the program and would like to get on the mailing list, please fill out this form.