Study sustanaibility for five weeks in the beautiful mountain city of Cuenca, once part of the ancient Inca Empire and now Ecuador's tourist mecca, and spend six days in the famous Galapagos Islands, where Charles Darwin conducted his research for his Origin of the Species.
Earn 6 semester credit hours of Spanish at the 3000 level, applicable towards a certificate, Spanish Minor or ALIS, IAML or GEML major, or in partial fulfillment of the International Plan Study Abroad requirement.
Combine with other LBAT from early summer for a total of 12 credits.
Deepen your knowledge and understanding of contemporary Andean culture and society and its historical roots as well as Ecuador's mega-diversity and issues facing the country's sustainable development.
Live with an Ecuadorian family and speak only Spanish! Attend classes taught by Georgia Tech faculty at the Universidad de Cuenca, where you will find your Ecuadorian peers eager to get to know you!
Visit NGOs and learn about health, well being and traditional medicine from local experts.
Experience a varied cultural program including excursions fo the major biodiversity center, El Cajas National Park, and the Inca ruins of Ingapirca.
Cuenca, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands
May 18 - June 21, 2024
Universidad de Cuenca, Cuenca, Equador
Homestay with Ecuadorian family in Cuenca.
- SPAN 3690: Commerce and Sustainable Communities
- SPAN 3592: Biodiversity, Ecosystems, and Conversation in Ecuador
Total credits: 6
Spanish 2002 or the equivalent and good academic standing. This program is conducted entirely in Spanish.
Students are required to be vaccinated to enter the Galapagos Islands.
- AS OF 11-27-2023, WE STILL HAVE SPOTS AVAILABLE / APPLY TODAY TO GUARANTEE YOURS AND RECEIVE A $500 DISCOUNT.
- Your application fee will be refunded if we run out of spots or you don't get accepted.
- The program fee is $4000. Fee includes Ground transportation for cultural excursions and professional visits in Cuenca, housing and three meals/day with Ecuadorian family in Cuenca, travel, lodging, meals, and local transport in Galapagos Islands, round-trip airfare Guayaquil to Galapagos Islands; New This Year: Airfare from Isabela to San Cristobal Island (half a day more of activities!!!), round-trip by bus Cuenca to Guayaquil, health, evacuation and repatriation insurance.
- There will be this year a $500 discount for early applicants!!!! Take advantage and apply early.
- The program fee does not include the following: application/deposit fee, 6 credit hours tuition, international airline tickets to/from Cuenca, Georgia Tech technology fee, and $100 cash payment of park entrance fee to Galapagos Islands.
Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest, public health issues or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws from the program, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.