Study for five weeks in the beautiful mountain city of Cuenca, once part of the ancient Inca Empire and now Ecuador's tourist mecca, and spend six days in the famous Galapagos Islands, where Charles Darwin conducted his research for his Origin of the Species. July in the Galapagos is breeding and nesting season for blue-footed boobies, sea lions, penguins and flamingos and migration season for humpback whales..
Earn 6 semester credit hours of Spanish at the 3000 level, applicable towards a certificate, Spanish Minor or ALIS, IAML or GEML major, or in partial fulfillment of the International Plan Study Abroad requirement.
Combine with the Mexico City LBAT for a total of 12 credits.
Deepen your knowledge and understanding of contemporary Andean culture and society and its historical roots as well as current issues facing Ecuador's biodiversity and sustainable development.
Live with an Ecuadorian family and speak only Spanish! Attend classes taught by Georgia Tech faculty at the Universidad de Cuenca, where you will find your Ecuadorian peers eager to get to know you!
Visit local businesses, NGOs , artisans, government officials and experts in entrepreneurship, international collaboration and sustainable development,
Experience a varied cultural program including excursions fo the major biodiversity center, El Cajas National Park, and the Inca ruins of Ingapirca.
Cuenca, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands
June 26 - July 31, 2017
Universidad de Cuenca, Cuenca, Equador
Homestay with Ecuadorian family in Cuenca.
- SPAN 3592: Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation in Ecuador
- SPAN 3690 :Commerce, Sustainability, and Communication
Total credits: 6
*Note: Students may participate in both LBAT Ecuador and the LBAT Mexico City or LBAT Peru during the same summer for a total of 12 credits.
Spanish 2002 or the equivalent and good academic standing. This program is conducted entirely in Spanish.
- The Program Fee is $3985. Fee includes Ground transportation for cultural excursions and professional visits in Cuenca, housing and three meals/day with Ecuadorian family in Cuenca, travel, lodging, meals and local transport in Galapagos Islands, round-trip airfare Guayaquil to Galapagos Islands; round-trip by bus Cuenca to Guayaquil, health, evacuation and repatriation insurance.
- Program Fee does not include: Application fee, 6 credit hours tuition, international airline tickets to/from Cuenca, Georgia Tech technology fee, $100 cash payment of park entrance fee to Galapagos Islands.
Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws from the program, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.
- October 25, 11:00, Swann 115
- November 3, 11:00, Swann 115
- November 10, 11:00, Swann 115