Name: Yi-Hsien Stephanie Ho
Department: Chinese Program
Title: Lecturer, Program Coordinator
Degree(s): M.A. in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (TCSL)
1. What's the goal of your research? What do you hope to change with it?
My research is mainly about pedagogy. I enjoy teaching and inputting the pedagogy into my course teaching.
2. What do you enjoy most about your work?
I enjoy the interaction with my students very much. My greatest strength is my approachability and positive attitude which always make my students feel like the classroom is a safe and happy environment to learn a new foreign language. I am also happy to learn new things from my students.
3. Why did you decide to teach at Georgia Tech, and what's the best part about working here?
Tech students study hard and are very sweet. Their attitude has made me devote myself more to this school. The best part is my students have always surprised me with the greatest effort they can in learning a new language.
4. What moment in Modern Languages/at Georgia Tech stands out as the most memorable?
Global Holiday 2019, all the language programs displayed the cultural and holiday celebration, very exotic.
5. What's your favorite course to teach and why?
CHIN 1001. I love teaching beginners and enjoy leading the learners to experience a new culture and language. Learning a new language is very challenging to some people, but I am glad to hear comments from my students that they are happy to learn Chinese and want to learn more in the future. They don’t think Chinese is a difficult language to learn.
6. Do you have any advice for Modern Languages students at Georgia Tech?
Learning a new language will make your life different and open many global opportunities for you.
7. When you're not working, what do you like to do?
Travel to a new place.
8. If you weren't doing this, what would you be doing?
Self-learning a language.
Do you have an outstanding student, faculty member, staff member, or alumni you'd like to see spotlighted? We accept nominations via this form: https://forms.office.com/r/v6EYcbtL4R.