Study language, sustainability, media, and community for five weeks at the University of Puerto Rico in Río Piedras, one of the top universities in the Caribbean.
Earn 6 semester credit hours of Spanish at the 3000/4000 level, applicable towards a certificate, Spanish, minor, or ALIS, IAML, or GEML major.
Live in the Caribbean and discover the vibrant culture of an island with very close ties to the United States. Explore Puerto Rico's natural resources and biodiversity while learning about the island's economic opportunities and social challenges. Learn about the impact of sugar and coffee plantations on the local ecosystems. Practice Spanish in community engagement events through partnerships with NGOs and service-learning opportunities. Enjoy San Juan's nightlife, a city famous for its salsa and reggaetón music. Produce media projects on sustainable alternatives for the development of an island with a history of colonialism, accelerated industrialization, and financial instability.
San Juan, Adjuntas, Ponce, and Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
May 15 - June 16, 2023
The Instituto Interdisciplinario y Multicultural (INIM) at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras
Student dormitories at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras
- SPAN 3070: Latin American Music
- SPAN 4350: Iberoamerican Cities
Total credits: 6
Spanish 2002 or the equivalent, good academic standing, and willingness to adapt to a new cultural environment. This program is conducted entirely in Spanish.
- The Program Fee is $4,000. Fee includes housing, ground transportation, cultural and service-learning site visits, some meals, and health insurance.
- Program Fee does not include: Application/deposit fee, 6 credit hours tuition, airfare to and from Puerto Rico, Georgia Tech technology fee, and some meals.
Payment Schedule and Deadlines
- Application deadline: January 15, 2023; Application deadline extended: February 1, 2023
- Program application fee of $300 payable on application. Note: Program directors do not receive your application until the submitted application package is reviewed by OIE, including transcripts and application fee.
- First program fee payment. February 15, 2023: $2000
- Second program fee payment. March 15, 2023: $2000
Please adhere to the deadlines stated for the program. Please observe the information in Payment Options to ensure that your payments are processed at the Bursar’s Office on time. Fees will be charged to your Oscar account on the due dates. Make sure you make all necessary payments on time in order to avoid a hold on your account. Students expecting financial aid must submit a letter from the Financial Aid Office stating the allocation and date of payments expected prior to the first payment deadline. Tuition and student fees are due according to the Registrar’s schedule for summer tuition.
Students who choose not to participate in the program after submitting an application will be subject to the following non-negotiable fee schedule:
- Students canceling before January 15th will lose their $300.00 deposit.
- Students canceling after January 15th must pay 25% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after February 15th must pay 50% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after March 15th must pay 100% of the program fee.
Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education. Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest, public health issues, or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws from the program, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.
Information Session #1 - October 25th, 2022, 11:00 am (Swann 325)
Information Session #2 - November 15th, 2022, 11:00 am (Online meeting: click here)