Study for five weeks in the cosmopolitan city of Buenos Aires, Argentina, including visits to Montevideo and Colonia, Uruguay, and to the Iguazu Falls. Also known as the Paris of the South, Buenos Aires is a melting pot of Latin American and European cultures. It is one the most vibrant cultural centers of the region, and the perfect location for this program on “Culture, Democracy, and Technology in the Southern Cone.” Culture, media, and technology have taken a predominant function in reporting, questioning, and resisting anti-democratic forces, while also celebrating and analyzing one of the richest popular culture traditions in the continent—from their own rock movement and extraordinary soccer to new digital creative start-ups.
This LBAT program is geared toward developing an appreciation of the cultural importance of Argentina and Uruguay, their democratic struggles, and their critical relationship with the United States. Earn 6 semester credit hours of Spanish at the 3000 level, applicable towards a certificate, Spanish minor or ALIS, IAML or GEML major, or in partial fulfillment of the International Plan Study Abroad requirement. Combine with LBAT Madrid in late summer for a total of 12 credits. Live with an Argentinean family and speak only Spanish! Visit Argentinean companies and institutions. Experience a varied cultural program.
Buenos Aires, Argentina; Iguazu Falls; Montevideo and Colonia; Uruguay.
May 18 – June 21, 2024
Expanish Buenos Aires
Homestay with Argentinean family in Buenos Aires.
- SPAN 3235. Latin America Today
- SPAN 3061. Spanish for Business
Spanish 2002 or the equivalent and good academic standing. This program is conducted entirely in Spanish.
- The Program Fee is $4,000. Fee includes housing, ground transportation, cultural and service-learning site visits, some meals, and health insurance.
- EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION: APPLY BY JANUARY 15, 2024 AND GET A $500 DISCOUNT!
- The Program Fee does not include the following
- Application/deposit fee
- 6 credit hours tuition
- Airfare to and from Buenos Aires
- Georgia Tech technology fee
- Some meals
Students who cancel their participation in the program after getting accepted will be subject to the following non-negotiable fee schedule:
- Students canceling before Jan. 15 will lose their nonrefundable $300.00 deposit.
- Students canceling after Jan. 15 must pay 25% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after Feb. 15 must pay 50% of the program fee.
- Students canceling after March 15 must pay 100% of the program fee.Program descriptions and fees are subject to final approval by educational units and the Office of International Education.
Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. Once Georgia Tech has made payments to service providers, or if Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest, public health issues or danger to participants' safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants. If a student withdraws from the program, the student will be responsible for the payment of all fees.
First Information Session: October 30th, 2023, 5 pm (Swann 106)
Second Information Session: November 14th, 2023, 12:30 pm (DM Smith 208)
If you are interested in the program and would like to get on the mailing list, please fill out this form.