Assistant Professor of Spanish
- School of Modern Languages
- Digital Integrative Liberal Arts Center
Dr. Paul Alonso is an Assistant Professor in the School of Modern Languages at the Georgia Institute of Technology. A Peruvian journalist and author, he holds a Ph.D. in Journalism, and a double Master’s in Latin American Studies/Journalism from the University of Texas at Austin. He began working as a journalist at age 18 in a Peruvian national newspaper, and edited his own liberal arts magazine at age 20. Alonso has published since in some of the most prestigious newspapers in Spanish (such as El País from Spain and El Nuevo Herald from Miami), and in diverse international magazines. He is the author of three books of fiction and has hosted a weekly interview show at Terra TV in Peru. His academic research—published in journals such as the Bulletin of Latin American Research, The Journal of Popular Culture, or The Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies, and included in edited collections such The Future of News (edited by Maxwell McCombs)—focuses on the convergence of journalism, entertainment, satire, politics and popular culture in the Americas. Before joining Georgia Tech, Alonso was also a staff member of the Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas from 2004 to 2013.
- Ph.D. in Journalism, The University of Texas at Austin, Summer 2012.
- M.A. Journalism and Latin American Studies, The University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2007.
- B.A. Liberal Arts and Humanities, Major in Literature and Linguistics. Pontifical Catholic University of Peru. 1996 – 2002
- Digital Media
- Literary and Cultural Studies
- Media Studies
- Latin America and Caribbean
- LMC-3843: Spec Topic-Communication
- SPAN-3111: Composition I
- SPAN-3235: Latin America Today
- SPAN-3592: Andean Culture Commerce
- SPAN-3690: Commerce Sustain Commun
- SPAN-3691: Bus Comm& Correspondence
- SPAN-3813: Special Topics
- Peruvian Infotainment: From Fujimori’s media dictatorship to democracy’s satire
- Sacha Baron Cohen and Da Ali G Show: A Critique on Identity in Times of Satiric Infotainment.
- Satiric Infotainment in Mexico: The case of Brozo, el Payaso Tenebroso.
- The Impact of Media Spectacle on Peruvian Politics: The Case of Jaime Bayly’s El Francotirador.
- Barcelona: la ácida prensa argentina.
- Prensa cosmopolita: Etiqueta Negra y el Malpensante.
- The Clinic: La nueva prensa satírica de Chile.