Permits and Overloads

All Permit and Overload Requests must be made via this webpage.  Please do not contact language advisors or individual course instructors for this purpose.

Permits for French and Spanish courses under "major restriction:  While a course is in "major restriction" status, only the following students will be able to register:

  • Students with the following majors:  ALIS, GEML, IAML, EIA, HTS, INTA and LMC/STC

  • Students with the following minors:  French and Spanish

  • Students who are registered for the International Plan may request a permit for major-restricted courses by submitting the form on this page.

All other students may register for a course only after the “major restriction” has been lifted. Major restrictions are typically lifted after the first week of phase I registration.

Note: No requests for Minor Change/Addition will be approved during Phase I or Phase 2 of registration.

Graduate students taking 1000- or 2000-level courses:  You must request a permit for each semester of language study.  Once the permit is granted, you must go to the Registrar's Office in Tech Tower to be manually enrolled in the course. 

Overload Requests:  Request an overload only if the class you are trying to get in is FULL.  If there are seats available, your overload request will be automatically denied.  Please note that graduate students will NOT be approved an overload into 1000- or 2000-level language courses.

Student Information
Your Request
Semester and Course