News: Nine Ivan Allen College Faculty Awarded Class of 1940 Course Survey Teaching Effectiveness Award
Posted October 22, 2018
Nine faculty members from three different schools in the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts have been awarded the Class of 1940 Course Survey Teaching Effectiveness Award.
Ivan Allen College CIOS Award Recipients 2018
- Daniel Amsterdam, Assistant Professor, History and Sociology: HTS 3011
- Jeffrey Fallis, Brittain Fellow, Literature, Media, and Communication: ENGL 1102
- Douglas Flamming, Professor, History and Sociology: HIST 2112
- Lionel Gall, Senior Lecturer, Modern Languages: FREN 1001
- Kathrin Koppe, Lecturer, Modern Languages: GRMN 1002
- Jin Liu, Associate Professor, Modern Languages: CHIN 4003
- Natalia Myshkin, Lecturer, Modern Languages: RUSS 1002
- Melissa Pilkington, Lecturer, Modern Languages: SPAN 2002
- Samba Sy, Lecturer, Modern Languages: FREN 2001
Established in 2012, the Class of 1940 Course Survey Teaching Effectiveness Award recognizes faculty members with exceptional scores and response rates on the Course Instructor Opinion Survey (CIOS). The CIOS is completed by students at the end of each semester to provide feedback to instructors about the learning experience in their respective courses.
“Faculty who receive the award often remark what an honor it is, especially since it’s based on students’ feedback about their work in the course,” said Joyce Weinsheimer, director of the Center for Teaching and Learning. “At least 85 percent of their students have taken the time to complete CIOS, and these students highly value the instruction they received. There’s definitely consensus among the students that this person has helped them learn — and that’s always great to hear.”
Open to full-time instructors, 40 awards are given each year and distributed to teachers of small classes (15-30 students) and large classes (at least 40 students) based on the proportion of those classes in the Georgia Tech catalog. Award winners receive a one-time award of $1,000.
Contact For More Information
Director of Communications